Are you tired of shying away from shorts and bikini bottoms because your thighs are so bulky?
Do you resort to wearing full-length pants and refrain from stepping out of the house in the cute mini skirt you just bought, thinking it will make your legs look longer when it only makes your thighs look fat?
If you feel that your thighs are your problem area and you want to work on losing the excess pounds, you’re at the right place!
You will find countless articles all over the internet recommending spot reduction exercises as a very effective way to lose fat from specific regions on your body. But, if you have tried and followed this advice, then you know that it’s not that effective approach after all. Many scientific studies have negated this claim ( 1 ).
What you need is a complete fitness approach to get fit and slim overall and you will definitely lose thigh fat as a direct consequence.
For this, you need to take a proper assessment of your current fitness levels and also your diet. If you are a bit on the heavier side, then you need to start slow with dietary changes and slow aerobic exercises like walking and swimming ( 2 ). Once, you have taken a few steps in this direction and seen some improvements, it will be much easier to stay on course and achieve results that you are hoping for.
Let’s have a look at some key things you need to incorporate in your complete fitness approach.
Complete Fitness Approach
Your diet plays the most important role in losing weight from any part of your body.
When you control and restrict your diet, your body naturally uses its excess fat deposits, which help in fat reduction and weight loss.
Control the number of calories you consume and burn. An excess of intake or burning of calories may lead to negative results. Eating proper foods that regulate blood circulation will help in even energy levels throughout the day. This will break down the excess fat deposits, usually located in the waist and thigh area.
Any excess calories that you consume will eventually get converted into fat deposits if you are not burning as many calories each day. So keep a record of the number of calories you consume each day. Try and stay away from sugary foods as far as possible. Consume fibrous foods like vegetables and fruits since they help in improving the metabolism, thereby shedding weight.
What to Eat?
Fruits rich in vitamins, like oranges, apples, lemons, dissipate a larger quantity of calories than what they supply to the body and are hence known as catabolic foods.
Eating foods rich in protein can decrease your appetite, coercing you to consume fewer calories. Adding 3-6 grams of cinnamon in your daily diet will also help in weight loss since It improves metabolism.
Drinking coffee can also help in losing weight since caffeine has the potential to increase energy consumption and burn more calories. It improves metabolism and helps in breaking down fatty acids ( 3, 4 ).
However, you shouldn’t drastically reduce or alter your calorie intake. Start by reducing the amount of sugar and fatty food you consume. Say no to junk food. Don’t take on any diet plans like Keto diet or Atkins’ Diet without consulting a nutritionist or dietician. Allow your body to enjoy a limited amount of carbohydrates once in a while ( 5 ).
Try to live an active life. Take the stairs instead of the lift or escalator. Walk as much as possible. You can also cycle to and from work or school. Try to squeeze in at least thirty minutes of physical activity in a day.
Consider taking up a healthy hobby like cycling, swimming, jogging or playing an outdoor sport and do it regularly. This will increase your circulation and burn calories at a faster rate. Aerobic exercises or “cardio” proves to be more fruitful than other forms of weight loss methods.
Studies have shown that combining aerobic exercise with resistance training and a proper diet shows significant results in shedding extra pounds and reduce cardiovascular risks. It not only helps in weight reduction but also in weight maintenance over the years ( 6, 7 ).
Resistance training involves exercises in which your body resists its own weight, gravity, weighted bars, dumbbells or bands. It builds endurance and improves muscular strength.
Try and squeeze in at least an hour and a half of aerobic exercises and resistance exercising in a day for the best results.
Drink loads and loads of water in a day. Try and drink about two liters of water in a day. Studies show that regular intake of water reduces the total energy intake since it makes you feel less hungry. It can also crave hunger urges and alter your metabolism.
Drinking water can also help you stay fresh and hydrated throughout the day and keep your skin soft and glowing ( 8 ).
Another way of reducing thigh fat is by massaging the thighs. Special brushes are available in the market which, when used can help in reducing the cellulite present on your thighs.
Massaging your thighs can smoothen out the dermis-hypodermis interface by removing the cellulite, making them thin and slim ( 9 ).
Keep track of your progress. On the first day of your workout regime, measure the thickness of your thighs and note it down. After each week, measure this thickness again and record it. This will boost your morale and encourage you to keep going until you reach your goal.
Spot Training Exercises
The following exercises will target your thighs directly and help you in achieving lean legs.
Start off your routine with a basic stretching exercise.
1. Hip Rolls
- Make sure your feet are perfectly lined up and are close to each other.
- Place your hands on your hips.
- Rotate your hips in a clockwise direction and try not to move your shoulders, but try to move your hands and hips only.
- Balance your hips.
- Rotate hips in the opposite direction in order to get the blood flowing.
- Rotate your hips in each direction for ten seconds.
The most simple and exercise which will help you achieve beautiful thighs and strong legs.
- Stand with your feet slightly apart.
- Take a big step forward with your right leg.
- In this position, make sure that your thigh is parallel to the floor.
- Lower your body until your right knee is at a 90-degree angle.
- Then return to your starting position.
- Repeat the exercise with your other leg.
- Do this for one minute.
Lunges are exceptionally great for strengthening and toning the thigh muscles and improving your core and your flexibility. It helps in building and sculpting different muscles including the quadriceps and hamstrings. It is a fairly simple exercise and does not require any special equipment.
However, you can challenge yourself by using dumbbells to increase resistance or your try side lunges to work on your inner and outer thigh muscles.
Every good workout regime consists of squats. It is the most popular and effective exercise.
- Stand with your feet slightly apart
- Bend your body in a sitting position so that your thighs parallel to the floor
- Hold your position for a few seconds
- Get back up in your original position.
- Do this exercise for a whole minute.
Squats trains a lot of muscle groups like the quadriceps and, hamstrings and makes the bones strong. It helps in building the muscles, lose weight, tone the body and be healthy overall.
Remember to keep your arms parallel to the floor throughout this exercise. Don’t bend too quickly or bend your stomach too far out. There is no need to rush with his exercise. Take your time and do a proper job.
4. Knee Lifts
- Take your right hand and place it on your stomach.
- Place the back of your left palm on your back. The hands are positioned that way so that you can activate your abs while working on your thigh.
- Lift your right knee and drop it down, without touching the floor.
- Lift and lower your leg for twenty-five seconds and make sure that you lift your leg as high as possible.
- Now switch your leg and your hands and repeat for twenty-five seconds.
5. Leg Kicks
- Place your hands the same way you placed them during the Knee Lifts.
- Kick your leg in the twelve o clock direction, then in the two o clock direction.
- Give ten seconds to each leg.
- Lift your leg as high as possible to burn fat and consume energy.
6. Ankle Sway
- Intertwine your hands and lock them behind your head.
- Lift one knee and sway your ankle from side to side for ten seconds.
- Remember to take deep breaths.
- Lift your leg high and feel the burn in your thigh. This means that you are activating your muscles and increasing the blood flow in them, causing the fat to burn faster.
7. The Hippy Stretch
- Bring your knees together and walk your hands down your leg as long as it feels comfortable on your back.
- Make sure that your arms and back are straight.
- Inhale and gently drop your left hip by bending your left knee forward.
- Do this without lifting your heel.
- Alternate between your left and right hip by switching the weight from your left knee to your right.
- Do this for 45 seconds and gradually bring your arms up assume a standing position.
8. Point and Flex
- Cross your hands and place on them on the opposite shoulder to help you stand straight. Make sure that your elbows are in line with your shoulders.
- Cross your leg, lift it diagonally towards the side of the leg and then lower it towards the opposite side.
- Kick one leg from left to right, as high as possible.
- Devote 20 seconds to each leg.
- Lift and lower your leg in a diagonal direction
9. Right Angle Knee Lifts
- Put your hands on your waist.
- Bring your knee up into a right angle.
- Lift it to the side and lower it back into the right angle position.
- You can take support if wall if hard to balance.
- Take deep and regular breaths.
- Perform this exercise for 10 seconds on each side.
10. Quad Stretch
- Place your hand behind your back and grab your leg from behind.
- Stretch your leg as much as possible until you feel a burn in your thigh.
- Interweave your two hands and pull your leg as tightly as possible.
- Take regular breaths in between.
- Stretch one leg for about ten seconds, then switch to the other leg.
11. Hip Bridge
The basic hip bridge is the most common exercise for losing thigh fat.
- Lie on your back.
- Bend your knees while keeping your feet flat on the floor.
- Raise your hips off the floor, so that your body forms a straight line from your shoulders to your knees.
- Freeze in position for one or two seconds, then slowly lower back down.
- Do this or a minute.
There are other alternative ways of performing the hip bridge like single leg bridge, inverted bridge, narrow bridge, and others.
This exercise works on the thigh, hips stomach and back. It helps in reducing back pain and knee pain and improves the posture. This exercise must be done regularly.
12. Single Leg Circle
- Lie down with your chest facing the ceiling.
- Extend your legs and place your arms by your side, the palms facing down.
- Lift your right leg above the ground and point it to the ceiling.
- Circle your leg clockwise and counterclockwise, then lower it.
- Increase the size of the circle gradually.
- Repeat the exercise with your other leg.
You can support your leg by placing it on your thigh, just below your hip. The key factors of performing this exercise are to not lift your hips or shoulders off the floor. When you keep these stable your abs and thighs will get a proper workout.
Remember to breathe correctly. Inhale for the first half of the circle and exhale for the second half.
This exercise was originally a Pilates exercise for improving the core strength in the pelvic region.
13. Leg Lift and Hold
This exercise targets the thighs, legs, and abs and is included in every basic workout.
- Lie on your back and place your legs close to each other.
- Lift your legs about a hand’s length above the ground, while keeping your knees and ankles held together.
- Hold the position for 10 seconds and then lower your legs back down.
- Repeat this exercise for one minute.
Don’t lift your shoulders. Only lift both your legs together.
This exercise may seem hard in the beginning but with regular practice, you’ll be able to do it with ease.
You can challenge yourself by placing a ball between your feet to increase resistance.
14. Side Leg Squat
- Position your legs apart from each other.
- Bend both your knees, lean towards one side and shift your weight to the same side of your leg. Keep your back straight.
- Keep your feet straight and your knees out to reduce the impact on your knees.
- Focus on the weight on the back of your heel so that it involves more hip muscles.
- Repeat this for one minute.
15. Leg Stretch
- Position yourself as you would do during squats.
- Extend your leg back towards the opposite direction.
- Keep your stretched leg as straight as possible.
- Repeat the exercise for one whole minute.
16. Side Leg Lift
- Lie down on one side and raise your upper body up by supporting it on your elbow and lower arm. Place your other hand in front of your stomach, palm facing downwards.
- Slowly raise your top leg as high as possible and try to hold it in place for about five seconds when you reach the highest position.
- Return to the starting position.
- Repeat this on the other side.
- Perform the exercise for about one minute on each side.
- Remember to raise and lower your leg slowly so that you do not pull any muscle.
Finish off your workout routine with another round of Hip Rolls, five seconds in each direction. You’re your hands in a prayer position and take two deep breaths.
Losing weight from specific regions like Belly and Thighs can be tricky as it has been deposited over time.
Following our complete fitness approach, helps you to not only lose fat from these specific regions but it also makes you fitter overall and confident about your body.
Who wouldn’t love to wear or flaunt any beautiful dresses they wish?
Proper Diet and Exercising plays an essential role when you want to lose the unwanted pounds on your thighs. We have already listed all the different approaches to get your dream body. But all you need is a simple workout routine and some dietary changes to start.
Remember that losing thigh fat takes time and the results cannot be observed overnight. Regularly perform the exercises and do not overdo them. You can gradually increase the number of repetitions of each exercise but make sure that you seek professional advice before you do so.